[Rspamd-Users] phpmail() generated mail is not signed regardless of sign_local=true

Johannes Rohr johannes at rohr.org
Mon Jan 22 11:23:03 UTC 2024

Am 22.01.24 um 11:19 schrieb Albrecht Backhaus:

>> As the subject says, I notice that mail generated by the phpmail
>> function (mostly by wordpress) is not being signed regardless of the
>> value of sign_local. Why is that?  As of lately, google rejects any
>> unsigned mail, so this is a nuissance.
>>
>> Does anyone have an idea why that is?
>>
> I had a similar problem once in the past. Maybe your phpmail script is
> not using SMTP authentification on your "rspamd-powered" mail-server.
Well, that's exactly the problem. And my assumption was that sign_local
would solve it. WordPress stubbornly uses PHP's mail() function unless
you install a plugin. But there are about 60 wordpress instances on my
server.

> DKIM - signatures are only added, when you use SMTP - authentification
> ( the DKIM - feature would be pretty useless, if there would be no
> authentification at all ...)

That seems to be not quite the case. It is also added to mails submitted
via sendmail, just not to mails submitted through the mechanism that
php's mail() uses, whatever it is . The mails I am concerned about do
originate from a local user on the server (www-data), so there would be
no reason not to authenticate it as coming from this server's fdqn. Or
am I missing something?

Johannes