[Rspamd-Users] update issue on Debian 10

Vsevolod Stakhov vsevolod at rspamd.com
Sun Mar 19 19:58:02 UTC 2023

On 19/03/2023 19:02, Fred Zinsli via Users wrote:
> So you have already stopped Debian 10 support in spite of the fact that
> official support stops 1 Aug 2022 and LTS support expires 2028

> This means that you are supporting "forced" OS upgrades regardless of
> the users circumstances.

How have you concluded that? If you'd like to stay with an outdated
system, it is your choice. You are also free to use Rspamd of an older
(and thus unsupported) version, or make your own package, or run Rspamd
in the Docker container - there are many possibilities.

> If this is your position then you should be advising users of your
> position and when you intend to stop support for any given OS version
> This is a position that should be reviewed.

I stop support of some OS when it starts to be a huge burden.

Debian versions are particularly bad: it is just not possible to install
a modern compilers toolchain without interfering with the system's one.
I can easily support CentOS 7 where there are `devtoolset` packages that
provide modern toolchains with no pain and dependencies hell.
Unfortunately, there is nothing close on Debian side, that's why Debian
support was also very difficult for me. And I will drop any EOL versions
from updates as soon as their compiler/libc/libstdc++ won't be able to
build Rspamd, not sooner but not later. This is the case of Debian 10,
I'm afraid: incompatible gcc, incompatible libstdc++, broken llvm repo,
etc...

Please also bear in mind that Rspamd is a free and open source project.
If you want to have an updated Rspamd version on an outdated Linux
distribution, it is typically your problem. You can invest your
time/money in such a support, and I'd be happy to consider and review
pull requests to be merged with the Rspamd repo. This is my final and
'official' position.