[Rspamd-Users] How to deliver spam anyway?

Marjorie Roome amusing at meeble.net
Sun Sep 20 20:43:19 UTC 2020

Hi David,

On Sun, 2020-09-20 at 08:19 -0700, David Reagan wrote:
> Also, on my current mailserver, I'm fighting with being blocked.
> Since I've triple checked that no one is sending spam through my
> system, I can only assume some jerk in an ip address near mine did,
> and the block lists decided to just block all the addresses near him,
> including mine.
>
> If the spam filters would let my email through instead of rejecting
> them, I could call or text people to ask them to check their spam
> folder. As it is, I have been having to use gmail until I can get my
> new server built and get on a new ip.

Not really on-topic...

However having had similar problems, in my case because our old
mailserver had an authentication problem and a spammer found it and
started sending spam via us, resulting in a bad rep. I'd suggest:

1) Ensure that you have SPF, DKIM and DMARC up and working:
Fr example my postfix is set up to simply reject senders without a
reverse hostname (SPF) or with an invalid hostname. This means the
improperly formatted emails never get as far as rspamd. On my server
about 30% of emails get rejected by postfix.

The big professional mailservers (MS, gmail) can be equally picky if
you have no previous rep or have acquired a bad rep.

2) If your emails are ending up in friends spam folders ask then to
show you the headers to see why they are getting poor spam scores.
If you are getting spam bounces you should be getting messages stating
why.

3) Check which spam block lists (RBLs) are blacklisting you. Some are
amenable to a polite request to remove the block. Some want money to
put you on their safe list, I ignored these. Some just go away with
time.

The big professional mailservers (e.g. MS, gmail) rely on different
blacklists, so you can end up with with mail to some working and some
not.

Microsoft (Outlook, hotmail) were the slowest to accept my emails again
after our breach got fixed and I fixed SPF, DKIM and DMARC and tried to
get our IP off the blacklists.

--
Marjorie