[Rspamd-Users] Is RSPAMD racist?

Daniel Armengod daniel at armengod.cat
Tue Jun 23 14:30:00 UTC 2020

 >It's a relatively simple change.

People who perpetuate this argument have clearly never touched a
codebase of any significant complexity, or widespread adoption.

Regardless of the merit of the change, or whether one's ultimate opinion
on the subject is to go ahead with the change or not, it's an objective
fact that the technical (economic) cost of refactoring an entire
codebase __and associated documentation, interfaces (internal and
external), conventions, etc__ is NOT inconsiderable. It MUST be
acknowledged in any serious discussion of the matter.

Anytime I see people suggesting, with varying levels of sincerity, that
the issue begins and ends with 's/badword/goodword/g' I roll my eyes all
the way to the ceiling. It's simply not.

A much more practicable approach is to consciously avoid using
"problematic" terminology in new codebases, if one is so inclined. That
is an idea I could bloody well get behind.

 >When someone yells, "Ow! You're standing on my foot!", you get off
their foot.

I'm the kind of person who finds it hard, sometimes to my own detriment,
to say "no" to a request. It's ingrained in me to try to be
accommodating to other's needs, a result of my upbringing. Most of the
time, I'm proud of this fact.

If someone yells, "Ow! You're standing on my foot!", I get off their
foot. And apologize profusely.

If someone says "Look, there's this thousand-mile highway that, when
viewed from thirty thousand feet and your head tilted at a 90º angle,
kinda resembles the shape of a letter that is sometimes used as an
insult towards a group of people I identify with. Can you tear it down
and rebuild it anew?", I... honestly don't know what to answer. But I do
not tear down the highway.

I wonder if in 2021 we'll be renaming all occurrences of "program crash"
to "abnormal program termination", to avoid evoking negative feelings on
those who have been victims of vehicular accident.