[Rspamd-Users] avast.lua virus scanner module for Rspamd

Franta Hanzlík franta at hanzlici.cz
Fri Jan 31 22:56:21 UTC 2020

On Fri, 31 Jan 2020 17:59:28 +0100
Ralph Seichter <abbot at monksofcool.net> wrote:

> * Vsevolod Stakhov:
>
> > if you want to do some brave experiments then it is not a problem at
> > all. But I would suggest to make it in a more canonical way. At least
> > when you intend to include your work into the upstream project.
>
> As I mentioned in <87sgjwtxrl.fsf at wedjat.horus-it.com> I would be happy
> to do things in an approved fashion if there was proper documentation
> available. Looking at uncommented code is helpful in its own way, but
> does not suffice. Is there some architectural design document or similar
> information available for Rspamd's Lua virus scanner modules?
>
> > I'm sorry if my messages were seeming to be too harsh: I've not
> > intended that.
>
> Thanks for the clarification.
>
> -Ralph

Hi Ralph,

IMO "you cry on the wrong grave" (not sure when it is only Czech
 proverb) - You should remember that
- RSPAMD is opensource project
- with small team of develepers
- with very complex and ambitious goal
- with rapid development

You should respect that in this environment there is no and cannot
be emphasized on accurate and up-to-date documentation. Especially
everything concerning project development.

IMO (I'm rspamd user):

- user documentation and changelogs is up-to-date and sufficiently
detailed. This is sufficient for proper use of the product.

- if you want to engage in development with some component, the right
way is to ask in advance how the problem should be solved - especially
if it's not quite obvious.

As you have seen, the immediate reactions to yours plugin announcement
was recommendations, how to do things right. IMO if you asked for
advice / assistance earlier, I believe it would be as well as provided.
--
with regads Franta Hanzlik