[Rspamd-Users] Problems with dmarc reports

G.W. Haywood rspamd at jubileegroup.co.uk
Sun Mar 3 17:14:05 UTC 2024

Hi there,

On Sun, 3 Mar 2024, Albrecht Backhaus wrote:
> But anyway - there is no entry in the mail logs of my mta - so no
> rejected attempt to send an email.

Another explanation could be that the connection attempt was not an
attempt to connect to the mail server at whose logs you are looking.
Can you say how you have configured the connection?

> G.W. Haywood wrote:
>> You could try to send a DMARC report to me.
>>
>> If you'll let me know from where I can expect the connection (the IP
>> address and the MTA HELO name), and very roughly when I can expect it,
>> then I can look in the mail logs for any attempt to send the report.
>>
> I don't think this is a good idea.  It is also a mystery to me how
> this should work at all.

Normally I reply to the mailing list only.  You may have noticed that
I sent my previous message both to the list and directly to you.  You
can send DMARC reports to us in the same way that Amazon, Gmail, Yahoo
and hundreds of other reporting organizations currently send them:

10:05 dmarc_reports at ausics.net          Report Domain: jubileegroup.co.uk Submitter: ausics.net ...
10:27 postmaster at amazonses.com          Dmarc Aggregate Report Domain: {jubileegroup.co.uk}  Submitter: {Amazon SES} ...
11:33 reports at fastmaildmarc.com         Report Domain: jubileegroup.co.uk Submitter: fastmail.com ...
12:32 Seznam.cz                         Report Domain: jubileegroup.co.uk Submitter: seznam.cz ...
15:00 postmaster at aegis.com              DMARC Failure Report for jubileegroup.co.uk ...
15:56 dmarc_reports                     Report Domain: jubileegroup.co.uk Submitter: acsbbs.org ...
15:59 noreply-dmarc-support at google.com  Report domain: jubileegroup.co.uk Submitter: google.com ...
16:30 dmarc-bounces at unipi.it            Report Domain: jubileegroup.co.uk Submitter: unipi.it ...
16:49 Comcast DMARC Report Generator    Report Domain: jubileegroup.co.uk Submitter: comcast.net ...

(Of course many mailing lists may cause DKIM failures, a few will even
cause SPF failures too; some reporters (such as aegis.com above) don't
handle that too well.  But for the purposes of testing we need not be
concerned about those issues.)

> The sending of dmarc reports (valid recipients for specific domains
> etc.) is regulated via corresponding DNS entries for the domains

Er, well, yes:

$ dig +short -t txt _dmarc.jubileegroup.co.uk
"v=DMARC1;p=none;adkim=s;aspf=s;pct=100;fo=1:d:s;rua=mailto:dmarc at jubileegroup.co.uk!2m;ruf=mailto:dmarc at jubileegroup.co.uk"

> I don't know how I could "manipulate" your recipient data into these
> DNS entries for emails already received from different domains ...

Nothing like this was suggested.

--

73,
Ged.