[Rspamd-Users] "cannot parse spamd" with exim after rspamd 3.8 -> 3.9 upgrade

Vsevolod Stakhov vsevolod at rspamd.com
Tue Jul 16 08:47:43 UTC 2024

On 16/07/2024 07:21, Olaf Hopp (SCC) wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I upgraded my rspamd from 3.8 to 3.9.
> After that, about half of my emails trigger an exim line like
>
>          2024-07-15 11:22:00 xxxxx-xxxxx-xx spam acl condition: cannot
> parse spamd [127.0.0.1]:11333, output: 1
>
> in the exim log file and those mails go through unfiltered.
> I don't see any correlation with anything for mails passing successfully
> the rspamd
> and mails not passing the rspamd.
>
> The rspamd logs nothing for those mails triggering the "cannot parse
> spamd" message
> It's not a kind of timeouts, the message is triggered within 1 or 2
> seconds after opening
> the wire for the sending system.
>
> Anyone seeing the same problem ?
> exim- and rspamd Config was not modified and worked fine with rspamd 3.8
> exim is the latest Debian 12 (bookworm) "4.96-15+deb12u5"
> rspamd is 3.9.0-1
>
> Regards,
> Olaf
>
> PS: Yes, I also ask this on the exim list
>        I'm not sure if this is an exim or rspamd problem
>        and also want to warn you before upgrading your rspamd to version
> 3.9

Exim support of Rspamd is just broken I would say. Nobody actually takes
care about legacy SA protocol support and nobody should (as we have
JSON+HTTP or milter protocol being fully supported). In fact, we should
have dropped SA protocol years ago as it will simplify maintenance of
the HTTP parser.

As a replacement we will provide dlfunc to integrate Exim with Rspamd,
since we failed to convince Exim developers that Rspamd exists. And once
it is ready we will drop SA protocol support completely. Hence, that
dlfunc will be the only recommended way for integration.