[Rspamd-Users] I'm confused...

Steve Witten caponecicero at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 16:03:18 UTC 2024

See inline below...

On Sun, Feb 4, 2024 at 2:54 AM G.W. Haywood <rspamd at jubileegroup.co.uk>
wrote:

> Hi there,

<snip />

Thanks.  I see that they have SPF records now too.  If you know the IP
> address(es) of your sending mail server(s) it's much more efficient to
> use the 'ip4:' and 'ip6:' mechanisms than 'a:', and especially 'mx:'.

mail.niteflyte.net is a general purpose mail server.  However, it's for
family use so it only has 4 customers.  It runs on a really cheap VPS.  I
don't know a priori the ip addresses of all the senders.

However, the other two:  www.niteflyte.net (aka niteflyte.net) and
rspamd.niteflyte.net only send status & system health information to me.
The Dragonfly mail agents (dma) on those VPSs are send-only and the number
of addresses they know is two -- root and postmaster.

You shouldn't use 'mx:' at all unless you really have to.

I removed '+mx' in all of them.  Thanks for the tip.

Once you're happy with the record switch from '~all' to '-all' to show that
> you're
> serious about it.  You'll be surprised how many criminals you'll find
> forging mail from your domains.

Thanks for this tip as well.  I've done this in all of them too.

> > However, I think this is the answer:
> >
> >> ... the SPF record for example.com has nothing to do with the
> >> (entirely separate) SPF records for mail.example.com and
> >> rspamd.example.com ...
> >
> > Maybe the better question to ask is: How can I prevent rspamd from
> > scanning this mail?  Since it's internal, status-report kind of
> > stuff, it's not really worthwhile to do this.
>
> Maybe whitelisting?  With any email system there are many - perhaps
> sometimes too many - ways to get things done.

I thought about this.  Most of the time, this status email is pretty *pro
forma* -- filled with lots of boilerplate.  It's kind of a nag to see it in
my inbox every day.  What I ultimately decided to do is send it all to
files in /var/log and rotate it automagically with newsyslogd.

Here's a tutorial you might want to browse:

> https://www.0xf8.org/2018/05/an-alternative-introduction-to-rspamd-configuration-scores/
>
> The diagram in part 4 might be helpful.  I haven't checked how up-to-
> date it all is.

I've bookmarked it.  Thanks.

Thanks again for all your help.

Steve Witten