[Rspamd-Users] syslog and missing log messages

G.W. Haywood rspamd at jubileegroup.co.uk
Thu Apr 11 13:31:11 UTC 2024

Hi there,

On Thu, 11 Apr 2024, Michael Grimm via Users wrote:

> ...  I do have difficulties to understand, why some the rspamd
> messages aren't forwarded to the host's syslog but are reported to
> /var/log/maillog.  ...

Sending syslog messages over the network means you will be using UDP.

If you use UDP you cannot guarantee that syslog will log everything it
is asked to log.  That's because UDP connections are not "reliable" in
the sense that TCP connections are described as "reliable".  A message
sent by UDP might arrive at the destination, or it might not (for many
possible reasons), and the sender has no way of knowing what happened.

That being said, if the hardware resources are not over-committed then
most of the time you should get away with it.  Perhaps there are some
performance issues in your system?

The usual way to be sure that messages are logged is to write them to
files, but obviously in a jail you're limited to accessible files.

--

73,
Ged.