[Rspamd-Users] REG: Max_message paramter is not working on my rspamd server

G.W. Haywood rspamd at jubileegroup.co.uk
Fri Nov 10 10:49:21 UTC 2023

Hi there,

On Mon, 25 Sep 2023, Jean Charles Delépine via Users wrote:
> Quoting Naren M via Users <users at lists.rspamd.com>:
>
>> REG: Max_message paramter is not working on my rspamd server
>> I need your advise on this issue, I am unable to send mail size of more
>> than 50MB and getting error "4.7.1 Service unavailable - try again late"
>
> ... this is a message from postfix, not rspamd.
> You should have a look to the parameter "message_size_limit" (default:
> 10240000) in your postfix configuration.

There are those amongst us who take the view that for sending data of
the order of fifty megabytes, email isn't the right medium.  My servers
will reject anything bigger than around a tenth of that.  Even if you
get your server to send it, you might find that recipients reject it as
a potential DoS attack.  We've actually been subjected to a DoS attack
by Microsoft servers which got things completely messed up when someone
tried to send us a video file by email.  It was a totally idiotic clip
of a whale jumping onto a canoe, many megabytes and a complete waste of
everything.  Unfortunately Microsoft's servers couldn't accept that the
mail had been received and kept on sending it for several weeks, during
which time our email service all but ceased operation.  Admittedly that
was a while ago, and Microsoft eventually did fix the brokenness of the
(thousands of) servers which were DoSing us, but there's a lot of other
brokenness about and the more you abuse a service the more likely will
it be that you trip over some inexplicable decision that somebody made
a while back - and very likely he doesn't even work there any more, so
it will take that much longer to find the problem and fix it.

Generally, for large files I'll put them on a file server somewhere and
just send a link by email to the recipient.  I think it's more polite;
it risks fewer issues of the kind I've described; and it makes for very
much more efficient use of the resources.

--

73,
Ged.