[Rspamd-Users] What's the deal with multiple buckets at the rate limit?

Simbürger, Andreas Andreas.Simbuerger at Uni-Passau.De
Fri Mar 31 10:10:01 UTC 2023

Hi,

your buckets need a 'prefix', usually created by using the selectors as
described in the documentation.
Ratelimits are tracked per prefix (=bucket). Depending on your selector
configuration, you can create interactions or completly different behavior.

When rspamd checks the ratelimit (as a pre-filter, if not configured otherwise),
it will check all prefixes sequentially. If one prefix has set the pre-result (soft reject),
it will reject the mail afterwards. All prefixes will beck checked, regardless of
an existing pre-result from a previous prefix.

So in your example, if you have 2 different selector strings, the one that triggers
first determines the time when soft rejects occur.
If you create the same prefix for them, the smallest burst will trigger it first,
and the higher rate will lead to a "faster unlock" of the bucket. So, effectively
you get the "union" of both buckets: min(burst) and max(rate).

Cheers,
Andreas

--
Andreas Simbürger