[Rspamd-Users] ClamAV and rspamd : log question

Vsevolod Stakhov vsevolod at rspamd.com
Mon Feb 20 21:30:28 UTC 2023

On 20/02/2023 10:30, Mickaël Dequidt wrote:
> Hello all,
>

>> If your guess is correct it seems in conflict with the documentation,
>> which says that greylisting takes place at the SMTP DATA stage, while
>> scanning takes place later in the conversation, at EOM.  See paragraph
>> headed "The order of checks" in
>>
>> https://rspamd.com/rmilter/configuration.html
>>
>> which I interpret to mean that for a greylisted message no virus scan
>> will yet have taken place - but that doesn't seem to be what you see
>> in the logs.
>>

> I would have interpreted that way as well, and that's the general way of
> implementing greylisting, as I reckon. But the greylisting module of
> rspamd doesn't seem to behave like the obsoleted rmilter.
>
> I use clamav directly through the antivirus module, and after having
> activated debugging for this module, I can now confirm that greylisting
> is evaluated at the same time as other modules, during the actual and
> complete analysis of a message.

Rspamd greylisting is adaptive: it means that the decision to greylist
depends on a message's spam score. Presumably, expensive checks, such as
AV checks must be executed after greylisting pass or there should be a
way to enable old behaviour of non-selective greylisting. I would prefer
the first option though - a clever greylisting with no expensive checks :)