[Rspamd-Users] Correct way to disable certain RBL lists

Vsevolod Stakhov vsevolod at rspamd.com
Wed Jun 15 15:33:19 UTC 2022

On 15/06/2022 15:25, Srikrishnan Chitoor via Users wrote:
> Hi:
>    I am disabling certain RBL list by adding to "/etc/rspamd/local.d/rbl.conf" as follows:
> ** STARTrbls {
>    mailspike {
>      enabled = false;
>    }
> }
> ** END
>    Is this the correct way? I am getting warning like the following:
> ** STARTsymbol 'RWL_MAILSPIKE_EXCELLENT' has its score defined but there is no corresponding rule registered
> ** END
> and
> ** STARTcannot find a symbol to disable RWL_MAILSPIKE_EXCELLENT when processing settings
> ** END
>    Pl let me know,
> Thanks,-Krishnan.

There are 3 options:

1) Disabling an RBL in config is static, meaning that the corresponding
symbols are even not registered (so they cannot be scored/disabled or
enabled dynamically).

2) Disabling of the corresponding `real` symbol named `rbl.symbol ||
_CHECK` (e.g. `MAILSPIKE_CHECK` in your case) in the user settings will
cause disabling of a symbol **check** for a specific task (dynamic
disabling), meaning that the DNS query will not be sent and all linked
virtual symbols will also be disabled.

3) Disabling of the concrete virtual symbol (e.g.
`RWL_MAILSPIKE_EXCELLENT`) in the user settings for a specific task
**will not** disable the corresponding check, but the concrete symbol
will never ever be inserted to the scan result (but a DNS request will
be sent and other prefixes symbols might still be inserted).