[Rspamd-Users] Handling of InterPlanetary File System (IPFS) abuse

G.W. Haywood rspamd at jubileegroup.co.uk
Mon Aug 8 13:15:13 UTC 2022

Hi there,

On Mon, 8 Aug 2022, Vsevolod Stakhov wrote:
> On 08/08/2022 10:55, G.W. Haywood via Users wrote:
>>
>> [*] A somewhat modified https://github.com/ssdeep-project/ssdeep
>
> Are you aware of Rspamd fuzzy check module?

Yes.

> ... why reinventing a wheel here?

Well it's hardly been reinvented - perhaps it's on a different axle,
and maybe it's driven by a different power train, but essentially this
is a very similar, big round thing. :)

I'm sure, if all I wanted to do was block miscellaneous spam, that I
wouldn't be doing what I'm doing here.  But the emphasis here is on
automated reporting, not on spam prevention - we don't really have a
problem with spam - so a fear of making the problems worse for others
leads to a desire for much greater (you might say almost pathological)
control over what is fed into message processing, how that processing
is effected, and the various ways in which the results are presented,
interpreted and used.  If there's a single word to encompass all that
it might be 'visibility'.

I find the configuration variables for rspamd's fuzzy check module a
little overwhelming.  It's much easier for me to assess performance,
follow the effects of configuration tweaks, and implement new ones if
I understand (or at least employ someone who understands:) what goes
on under the hood.

--

73,
Ged.