[Rspamd-Users] Download for Raspberry Pi

Martin Brampton martin at black-sheep-research.com
Thu Oct 29 07:16:18 UTC 2020

On 29/10/2020 04:09, Daniel Lysfjord via Users wrote:
> "Martin Brampton via Users" <users at lists.rspamd.com> skrev 29. oktober 2020 kl. 00:35:

>>> "Martin Brampton via Users" <users at lists.rspamd.com> skrev 28. oktober 2020 kl. 17:42:
>>>
>>> Is there an ARM version of rspamd 2.5 usable with Raspberry Pi? If so, how is it installed into an
>>> Ubuntu or Debian system?
>>>
>>> -- Users mailing list
>>> Users at lists.rspamd.com
>>>
>>> As rspamd 2.5 is available in debian[0] (buster-backports, bullseye and sid) and available for
>>> arm64, armel and armhf, I would reckon it should be a simple apt-get install away (as long as you
>>> have the required repository enabled) on any Raspberry from the Pi 1 to the Pi 4.
>>>
>>> [0]: https://packages.debian.org/search?suite=all&searchon=names&keywords=rspamd

>>> As I don't have any RPI to test out on, I can't say if the debian packages for arm64/armel/armhf
>>> works, but there's no bug reports reporting that it crashes? If those packages doesn't float your
>>> boat (or the rspamd developers boats), builing it on your own[0] should be fully doable. Either
>>> directly on the RPI or cross compiling on a different computer (beware, hyperscan only works on
>>> i386/amd64, so your performance may not be the best)..
>>>
>>> The reason for not supporting the distro-provided packages, is mostly because distros tend to make
>>> changes and backport things from newer versions. Bugs in distro-provided packages should be
>>> reported to the distro, not rspamd (from a user standpoint, the package maintainers of that distro
>>> can and may bring the issue to the source if they wish). This goes for most projects.
>>>
>>> [0]: https://rspamd.com/downloads.html#system5
>>
>> I don't know if any arm packages work - I can't find any way to obtain
>> an arm package. I'm assuming that the following is not going to provide
>> an arm package:
>>
>> echo "deb [arch=amd64] http://rspamd.com/apt-stable $CODENAME main" >
>> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/rspamd.list
>>
>> Building failed to complete because of the requirement for hyperscan. I
>> don't know how to get round that.
>> --
>
> It is already in the debian repositories (version 2.5, mind you) for buster-backports, bullseye(testing) and sid(unstable). Hence, "apt-get install rspamd" should yield you a working version (albeit "outdated") as long as you run buster (with the backports repository enabled[0]), bullseye or sid.
>
> No, the rspamd.com repository does *not* contain arm64/armel/armhf packages.
>
> Looking at the "build process" part of the rspamd.com/downloads.html, it tells me:
> cmake ../rspamd -DENABLE_HYPERSCAN=OFF -DENABLE_LUAJIT=ON -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebuginfo
> should give you a version with hyperscan disabled (this is a wild guess, based on the syntax already used).
>

> [0]: deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster-backports main contrib non-free

Thanks, I suppose that was rather obvious! And it did allow the build to
complete.

Trouble is, the result is version 2.5 and the whole thing about 2.5 is
that it doesn't work. It crashes on every incoming email, with log
entries like:

2020-10-29 07:11:21 #328643(rspamd_proxy) rspamd_crash_sig_handler:
caught fatal signal 11(Segmentation fault), pid: 328643, trace:
2020-10-29 07:11:21 #328643(rspamd_proxy) rspamd_print_crash: 0:
0000FFFF9F8AFC18: <unknown>
2020-10-29 07:11:21 #328643(rspamd_proxy) rspamd_print_crash: 1:
0000000000000032: <unknown>

So it seems that the only conclusion must be that rspamd is not really
available for arm at all. Although it has been included in the Ubuntu
20.10 release (the specific Raspberry Pi download) it just does not
work, and is not supported. Really very frustrating.

Installing from the Ubuntu repo was where I started. The rspamd from
there does not work, it fails as above.